Candidates must be at least 19 years of age on or before the date of the written exam. Eligibility for appointment as a Police Officer begins when the candidate reaches age 20. Candidates who reach their 35th birthday on or before the date of the written examination ARE NOT qualified except as follows: Candidates may have a period of military duty or terminal leave up to six years deducted from their age for the purpose of meeting the age requirement. (See Section 243(10-a) of the Military Law.)
By the date of Appointment, candidates must be a high school graduate or holder of a high school equivalency diploma.
United States Citizenship IS REQUIRED at time of appointment.
Candidates MUST possess a valid New York State Operator's license.
Those applying need to be physically and psychologically sound with excellent moral character.
Each candidate will be subject to a through background investigation. Applicants will be required to authorize access to education, financial, employment, criminal history, mental health records or other records. Conviction of a felony will bar appointment. Convictions of a misdemeanor or other offense are subject to evaluation and may bar appointment. Candidates will be subject to certain screenings as a term and condition of employment, including but not limited to, fingerprinting and psychological testing. Drug testing is included in the required medical exam. Applicant may be required to submit the necessary fees for the fingerprinting processing.
Appointees must complete a course in basic police training within one year of appointment and must satisfy the departmental residency requirement to live within a 30 minute drive of the station within 18 months of appointment.
- Sergeant (eligible after 5 years of service in patrol)
- Lieutenant (eligible after 3 years of service as a Sergeant)
- Bike Patrol
- DARE Officer
- Special Response Team (SRT)
Probationary Officers are required to successfully complete Basic Academy Training. Upon completion of the Police Academy, the Probationary Officer must additionally complete Field Training.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Competitive starting salary
- 80 hours of vacation annually, up to a maximum of 160 hours.
- 32 hours personal time per year.
- 96 Holiday hours per year.
- Paid Sick leave accumulation at the rate of 104 hours per year.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance plan
- Dental plan.
- All Uniforms and equipment supplied.
- In-service and advance specialized training throughout career.
- Membership in the NYS Police and Fire Retirement System.
Please contact the Personnel Office for specific information about applying