Marriage Licenses

Information on Getting Married in New York State (NYS Department of Health)

Marriage License Information and Intake Form


Any marriage in which either party is under the age of seventeen years of age is prohibited.  Per the Domestic Relations Law, any clerk who shall knowingly issue a marriage license to any persons, one or both of whom shall be at the time of their contemplated marriage actually under the age of seventeen years, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.  Issuance of a marriage license to a minor at least 17 years of age but under 18 years of age requires approval of both parents (or one parent if other conditions are met) and written approval of a justice of the supreme court or of a judge of the family court, having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.


An acceptable birth document is:

  • Certified Birth Certificate issued by vital records that includes parents’ names and raised seal
  • Baptismal Certificate with birth name, date of birth, place of birth and parents’ names and sealed by the church.

An acceptable valid photo identification is one that has both a photo and date of birth:

  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Valid DMV non-driver’s ID
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Military ID
  • Valid Green Card
  • Valid Employment ID

If divorced, you must provide the date and location of each divorce, and provide a certified copy of the most recent divorce judgment which shows the “FILED AND ENTERED” stamp and date.

If the previous marriage ended by the death of a spouse, you must bring a certified death certificate that lists you as the surviving spouse.

If the above documentation is not in English, the document must be translated by a certified translator who is approved by the City of Oneonta. Only translations from a bona fide business, university, embassy, or consulate will be accepted. The translation must be on letterhead and include a statement of accuracy with the translator’s notarized signature. This statement must attest to the accuracy of the translation and that the translator is competent to translate the specific language. Please bring the original document AND the original translation to the City Clerk’s Office when applying for the marriage license.

Name Change Options:

  • You must state on the application the surname you will use after marriage.
  • The name change option does not apply to your first or middle name.
  • We will not make any changes to the license once it is signed, witnessed and issued.

Same Sex Marriage
On June 24, 2011, the New York State Legislature passed the Marriage Equality Act which was signed into law by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo the same day. This new law took effect on July 24, 2011.

Waiting Period
State law requires couples to wait 24 hours after receiving a license before they can be married unless a waiver of the waiting period is obtained by a State Supreme Court Justice.  

Officiants List
The City Clerk's Office has compiled a list of officiants who perform marriage ceremonies.  Officiants are also available, by appointment, at City Hall.