Office of City Assessor
Pam Dyn-Gohde, City Assessor
City Hall - 258 Main Street Oneonta, New York 13820
Telephone: (607) 432-2397
Fax: (607) 433-3420
Office Hours are Currently by Appointment Only
Assessment administration in the City of Oneonta is the primary responsibility of the City Assessor.
Commissioned by the State of New York, the City Assessor is responsible for locating, listing, and valuing all taxable and non-taxable properties within the City's municipal jurisdiction. In addition to these duties, the City Assessor is responsible for the following:
- Maintains current tax maps and inventoried property record cards for each parcel of land within city boundaries.
- Receives complaints on real property assessments and assists the Board of Assessment and Review during Grievance Day proceedings.
- Attends the public examination of the Tentative Assessment Roll at times prescribed by law.
- Completes and publishes the Final Assessment Roll for the purpose of ad-valorem tax allocations and levy.
- Makes changes in assessments in accordance with New York State Real Property Tax Laws and as directed by the Board of Assessment Review.
- Administers Small Claims petitions and Supreme Court certiorari cases as result of real property assessment litigation.
- Prepares reports of assessment activities as required by the appointing authority or the New York State Office of Real Property Tax Services.
- Calibrates total assessed and taxable values for tax rate computations.
- Provides school districts within the assessing unit with compiled information related to local assessments and their taxable status.
- Reviews and makes determination with respect to applications for real property tax exemptions.
- Supervises and trains appraisal staff members in the technique of appraisal and assessments.
A summary of the services provided by the Assessment Department include
- Appraisal of all property located in the city and annual notification of new assessments.
- Assessment review and property inspections when necessary.
- Appraisal of new or partial constructions resulting from building permits.
- Collection and inventory of data on property transfers and subdivisions.
In addition to these services, the Office of City Assessor also:
- Maintains current and historical files for all properties in the city.
- Provides property and sales data to government entities, real estate organizations, and the community at large.
- Processes all property transcripts, as well as the monitoring of their transfers and market trends.
- Informs and educates the public through various means of communication.
The staff of the Assessment Department in the City of Oneonta continues to dedicate the utmost of capability and knowledge to achieve better services to our taxpaying community; thus, insuring the fair and equitable assessment distribution of all real property in the City of Oneonta.